Money, money, money... ♫

Aaah, o dinheiro... Nada tão gostoso quanto! Não é verdade?

Esse po$t é dedicado a expressões idiomáticas ao dinheiro. Expressões que você nunca viu! Skipping the cheap chat, vamos ao artigo! (Recomendamos que leia o artigo com um som que disponilizaremos) :P

 

We all know that money doesn't grow on trees, right? But you can make your vocabulary grow faster with these expressions. 


to bet (one’s) bottom dollar – to bet all that you have on something because you are sure it is true or that you will win
Example: I would bet my bottom dollar that the teacher will be late for class again today.


to break the bank – to use all of one’s money
Example: Buying this new house is going to break the bank, but it will be worth it to have a place of our own.
to cost a pretty penny – to cost a lot of money
Example: Kate’s new car it is a BMW, it cost a pretty penny to buy.
to foot the bill – to pay for something; usually when one person pays the whole bill for a group of people
Example: My boss decided to foot the bill for our team lunch today.
to grease (someone’s) palm – to pay a bribe in order to get a special favor
Example: In my country if you want to open a business you have to grease a lot of people’s palms to make that happen in a reasonable amount of time.
to have money to burn – to have a lot of money; to have more money than is needed
Example: After my friend received his inheritance he had money to burn and was buying all sort of expensive new things.
to be in the hole – to be in debt
Example: I think my company is too far in the hole to recover, so I am going to start to look for a new job now before I get laid off.
 to be loaded – to have lots of money
Example: Do you know Tommy? He is loaded. If you want to have a good time you should hang out with him.
to make a killing – to make a large amount of money
Example: My sister made a killing on the stock market last year.
a red cent – a small sum of money
Example: I wouldn’t pay a red cent for my neighbor’s car, it is the worst car I’ve ever seen or heard!
to squirrel away money – to save money over a period of time
Example: My grandmother was able to squirrel away over $1,000 in a year and then she went on a vacation to Florida for the winter.
to tighten (one’s) belt – to use less money than usual
Example: After my wife lost her job we had to tighten our belts and do a better job at saving money.
to be worth its weight in gold – to be very valuable
Example: The picture I have of my grandfather that was taken with my whole family the week before he died, that is worth its weight in gold to me. 
Have you ever heard one of these expressions? Would you like to suggest some unknown expression about money? Leave a comment and feel free to tell us! ;)

Bryan Porphirio

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário